At the end of this lesson you should be able to:
- Justify the need for or advantage of transgenic approaches to creating disease resistance crop cultivars.
- Outline the basic steps of the genetic engineering process and indicate where gene discovery research sets up this technology.
- Interpret the results of molecular and cellular experiments that are designed to test models and hypotheses for the role of specific genes in the pathogen-plant interaction.
- Describe how genomics and bioinformatics has helped progress the discovery of potential disease resistance transgenes.
- Rationalize the selection of genes as potential transgenes for disease resistance.
Move to the next page by clicking ‘Next’ below or using the upper left hand menu as we follow The Journey of a Gene to produce a transgenic soybean plant.